The Company had no arms of its own until the Arms granted to the Company on 5th March 1963 by the Garter King of Arms. Although the original Grant of Arms document is with the Company’s archives at the Borthwick Institute, a framed copy is on display in the Entrance of the Hall.
ARMS- Or a Pavilion Purpure Lined Ermine on a Chief Azure a Lion's head caboshed affronte Or over all two Robes of Estate Ermine lined Purpure.
CREST- Out of a Coronet composed of four Roses Argent barbed and seeded proper and as many Roseleaves Or set alternately on a Circlet Gold a Mount Vert thereon a Pashcal Lamb proper.
SUPPORTERS- On either side a Camel Erminois gorged with a Collar Azure charged with a Rose Argent barbed and seeded proper.
MOTTO- "Concordia Parvae Res Crescunt" (With harmony small things flourish). These Arms are displayed over the fireplace in the Small Hall and on the Entrance Porch pediment, both carved by Dick Reid, York ’s distinguished wood and stone carver, in 1963 and 1998 respectively.
PATRON SAINT - The Pascal Lamb is the badge of the Company's Patron Saint, St John the Baptist (Saints Day 24th June).
The reason why the supporters are camels is because St John the Baptist wore a garment of camel hair. The tent depicted on the lower part of the Arms is a Pavilioners tent which were made by tailors for use in jousting sessions.
Other Coats of Arms in the Hall
As the Company did not have its own Arms until 1963, the arms of others are displayed in the Hall. The oldest is over the Fireplace in the Great Hall and shows the Armorial Bearings of the London Drapers Company, painted on wood before 1668. Frequently repainted, but restored in 1978 to its original by the removal of three complete layers of paint.The Arms of the London Company of Merchant Taylors are depicted in stained glass in the two windows in the Small Hall, both by Henry Gyles the famous York glass painter and also in the 1887 stone carving now set in the forecourt’s boundary wall to the left of the entrance door.
High on the end wall of the Great Hall hangs the imposing Royal Coat of Arms, again carved by Dick Reid in 1963. The blazon presents the Royal Arms of 1603 to 1688 and 1702 to 1707, current at the time that the Company’s Charter was granted in 1662.