Black and white photo of old brick buildings on a cobblestone street, featuring arched doorway, barred windows, and multi-story structures with tiled roofs.

The Wilford Archive

The Aldwark Frontage of the Hall in the 1940s

Earlier Buildings on the Aldwark Frontage of the Hall’s Forecourt

This photo of the Rose & Crown Inn in Aldwark was taken from  Hugh Murray’s Book ‘A Directory of York Pubs 1455-2003’.  The Inn’s licence was surrendered in 1932, and the building was bought by Merchant Taylors in 1940.  It was demolished nine years later to make way for the new entranceway and forecourt to the Hall. 

Black and white photo of a row of old brick buildings on a cobblestone street, with signs indicating a grocery and an inn, taken in 1910.
Black and white photo of the historic John J. Hunt's Ebor Brewery building with ornate architectural details.
Black and white photo of old brick buildings with tiled roofs on a cobblestone street, featuring windows and an arched gate.

The photo at the top of this page shows the boarded-up Inn.

Here is a smaller version

Immediately to its right is the 1890s arched entranceway into the narrow lane to the Hall – at its narrowest point, the lane was only 5 feet 9 inches wide!  The third photo from the 1890s (left) shows the same arched entranceway to the Hall with Hunt’s Ebor Brewery to the right.  The Brewery building, which became the Ebor Vaults Public House, was closed and demolished in the 1960s and the Merchant Taylors acquired part of the site, enabling it to extend its forecourt to that which exists today.   

The 1852 Ordnance Survey map shows the Merchant Taylors Hall with the Hall’s narrow access lane off Aldwark sandwiched between the Rose & Crown Inn and  the Ebor Brewery.  Behind the frontage properties were a series of small tenements including Ickringill’s Yard, almost filling what was to become the Hall forecourt, leaving the Merchant Taylors just the small yard area immediately in front of the Hall itself.

Historical map showing buildings and landmarks, including Tellen Yaver, and surrounding area labeled with streets and gardens.

1852 Ordnance Survey Map

GAW November 2024

A site plan map of Merchant Taylors Hall and the surrounding area, with the hall outlined in black, shaded in pink, and adjacent green areas.

Current Ordnance Survey Map

The corresponding up-to-date OS Map above has been coloured to show the Hall and Forecourt as they exist today.