The Wilford Archive

The Stone Coat of Arms

The Stone Coat of Arms built into the west boundary wall of the hall forecourt depicts the Arms of the London Company of Merchant Taylors.

It was carved in 1887 by George Walker Milburn, the well-known local stonemason and sculptor, to the instructions of Mr Hornsey, the Merchant Taylors’ Honorary Architect, to be mounted above the archway over the entrance off Aldwark to the narrow lane leading to the Merchant Taylors Hall. The cost was £8-4s-0p

Carved coat of arms with a lion, eagle, and two unicorns on a shield, surrounded by decorative scrollwork, on a brick wall. The caption below reads, 'Bondora Parvae Res Crescunt,' and there's a plaque above labeled 'Merchant Tailors' Company'.

The cost was £8-4s-0d

When the archway and the adjoining property on the Hall side of Aldwark were demolished in 1952, the Stone Arms were retained and built into the wall adjoining the Forecourt - their present location

Black and white photo of a brick building with an arched doorway, small windows, and a tree on the left side, with leaves on the ground and another building in the background with arches.

The following photo came into the Merchant Taylors' possession in 2016, having been taken in the late 1950s or early 1960s by Shepherd Homes. It was one of the numerous photos of properties in the area taken by their own architect as part of the design process for their proposed housing development, which would stretch along Aldwark, adjoining Oliver Sheldon House and the Merchant Taylors Cottage and backing onto the City Walls. 

Black and white image of an old brick building on a city street, featuring arched entrance and boarded-up windows.
A carved stone coat of arms with two horses on either side, a shield with various symbols, and a knight's helmet above. The coat of arms is set in a brick wall. Above the crest, there is a plaque with the text 'MERCHANT TAYLORS'. Below the coat of arms, a ribbon bears the Latin motto 'OMNIBUS DABO PARVAE RES CRESCUNT'.

Interestingly, the Stone Arms are shown built into the boundary wall when it was still part of the neighbouring building.

In contrast, it was generally thought that they were built into the wall when the building was partially demolished in the 1970s(?), leaving the part of the wall that exists today.  

The Arms of the London Company of Merchant Taylors show the lamb holding a cross-staff – as distinct from holding a pennon as seen in the two Henry Gyles windows in the Small Hall.

Two other points of interest in the latter photo:

The Porch is shown painted in a very light colour. Subsequently, it was painted black and then dark brown, but it was repainted in a light ‘limestone’ colour following the extensive restoration of the timberwork in 2012.

The photo shows the side of the gentlemen’s toilet block—it was replaced with the new Reception Wing in 1994/5.

 

Graham Wilford August 2024